Goofy is one of the oldest and most popular Disney characters, beloved by many for his, well, goofy personality. And while the natural assumption is that Goofy is a dog, albeit an unknown breed, that’s actually not the case at all. It’s been suggested for years that Goofy is a totally different animal, and while many fans have been reluctant to believe it, the actor who voiced the character for many years has confirmed the rumors.
- Bill Farmer has been the official voice of Goofy since 1987. He was happy to step in and clear up any confusion about his character. However, what he had to say is even more mind-blowing than what we’ve previously heard.
- Goofy did start out as a character named “Dippy Dawg.” However, think about it: He’s nothing like Pluto, Mickey’s actual pet dog. He doesn’t walk on all fours, and his face doesn’t even look like a dog.
- There were rumors going around for years that Goofy is a cow. This made sense given his black and white colorings, not to mention the fact that Goofy had the hots for Clarabelle Cow. However, Farmer has shot that idea down as well.
- So, what kind of animal is Goofy? The people want to know! Take it away, Farmer! “Pluto is a dog, but Goofy seems to be in the canine family in the same way that a wolf is not a dog, but they also are in the canine family,” he explained to Yahoo! News. “I think Canis Goofus is the technical Latin term for what Goofy is. He’s just Goofy.”
- In other words, Goofy isn’t any one animal in particular. At least not one that exists in our world. However, Farmer doesn’t mind. Goofy has always been his favorite Disney character, and that doesn’t seem to be set to change anytime soon.