The dating climate today has a feeling of desperation, like our time is running out and we have to find someone, anyone to fill the void before its too late. That’s ridiculous. The world will keep turning whether or not there’s someone holding my hand through it. I’m determined to take my time and not let my life stop while I wait for the right person.
- I KNOW WHAT I BRING TO THE TABLE. I’ve done a lot of soul-searching, figuring out who I am and what I want. Now, I’m confident about what I bring to the table and what I can offer in a relationship. That confidence gives me the ability to relax and know that I deserve someone who’s on my level. I know I’m not going to panic and accept something less because I trusted in myself first.
- I KNOW WHAT I’M LOOKING FOR IN A GUY. I’ve dated enough people to know the most important characteristics I’m seeking in my future husband. Of course, I won’t know everything about him and that’s the adventure in it all, but there are things I’m definitely not willing to let slide. Knowing my standards for my other half really help me stop bad dates before they happen and give me more meaningful interactions with the guys who really matter.
- I’M CONFIDENT THAT THE GUY I WANT EXISTS—I’M NOT SETTLING. I’m not looking for a prince charming, so don’t call me idealistic. I know the kind of guy I’m looking for is out there in the world, and I’m willing to wait. I’m not buying into the idea that all men are garbage or that no gentlemen exist anymore. I have this theory that holding yourself to a high standard attracts the men of that standard, so I’ll keep holding out.
- I NEVER GET HUNG UP ON ONE PERSON TOO EARLY ANYWAY. I don’t let my emotions run wild with every date I go on. I try not to take things too seriously and let things play out as they will. I’ve found that simply waiting for him to make the next move has helped me dodge more bullets than falling head-over-heels for someone right away ever could. Sometimes it takes just a little bit of discretion to reveal someone’s true colors.
- I DON’T LET MYSELF MOVE TOO FAST. Don’t get me wrong—when I know its right, I’m going to be ready to get things to the next level but until I REALLY know, I’m cool with taking things easy and slow. Let’s get to really know each other, spend meaningful time together, just step into each other’s shoes before we get too serious and move too fast. I think the best relationships start as amazing friendships first, and I’m okay with being an awesome friend first.
- I’M NEVER AFRAID TO WALK AWAY. It’s not always easy to push down your feelings, but I’m not the kind of person who can deny my gut instinct. If something feels off, that feeling will burn a hole in my pocket until I cut things off. Until I’m married, I’ll always remember I can walk away at any time. If that red flag pops up and tells me to run, you can guarantee I will and I won’t look back on what could’ve been.
- I CAN TAKE CARE OF MYSELF. I’m not in a rush to find my other half because I know I can take care of myself. I have the confidence that I’d be fine without a guy in my life and I realize it’s an added bonus, not a must to be happily married at this point in my life. I’m a firm believer that I’m responsible for myself first before I add someone else into my life.
- MY WORTH DOESN’T HINGE ON A RELATIONSHIP. Contrary to popular belief, you can live a very fulfilling life while you’re waiting for your forever. Don’t let fear freeze you—go adventure, meet new people, chase new experiences. You never know what opportunities will pop up when you dream with your eyes open and don’t let small-minded fears hold you back. Your time will come but don’t waste the time in between. That’s how I live and it’s always served me well.
- I KNOW THE GREATEST THINGS AREN’T FORCED. When you’re trying to force the wrong person into the right situation, everything just ends up messy and everyone gets hurt. I’m willing to take my hands off the wheel and let things fall into place naturally. I’ve got faith that things will work out in the correct order at the correct time—I can relax knowing that it’s out of my hands.
- I’M CONFIDENT SOMEONE IS LOOKING FOR ME OUT THERE. I know there are other people like me out there. I’m not buying into the stereotypes about my generation or the fears of peers—there are people who are hopeful, patient, and living their life well while they wait for the right person to show up. There’s freedom in thinking bigger than yourself, knowing people like you may be scarce in your corner of the world, but there are thousands of other corners out there that your person is in, thinking the same thing. All it takes is a little bit of faith and a heart full of hope.