For the longest time, I paid way too much attention to other people’s opinions. Years of self-doubt and second guessing myself led me to my lowest point ever. Then one day, I had an epiphany: my worth shouldn’t be based on anyone’s opinion but my own.
- My self-worth isn’t based on your opinion. Making friends with myself was liberating. I realized that I was an interesting person who’s sometimes kinda cool in my own quirky way. I don’t need somebody else to think I’m worthy enough to be around – I’m around myself 24 hours a day, so surely I’m the better judge of me.
- I’m Important To Someone. The truth is that not everyone we meet in life is going to be interested in us for longer than the five minutes it takes to say hello. I’m okay with this because I know that the people who are meant to be in my life and who will love and value me just as I am will just be there. Just because some people would rather not stick around doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with me, it just means we’re not compatible.
- I’m Only Human – I’m Allowed To Have Flaws. In the time it takes someone to notice my flaws and failings, they’ve already made up their mind about me. I don’t mind if they think I talk too much, dress weird or dress differently or that my eyes are too close together. I’m me, but I’m still human. I’m allowed to be my imperfect self and to love myself despite my flaws.
- Picking On Me Just Means You’re Not A Very Nice Person. I’ve learned that no matter how nice you are, some people just aren’t going to be very nice to you. I know I’m a good person and I know I deserve a happy life. That means if you’re going to be an ass to me then I don’t want to be around you anyway.
- I’m Strong, Independent And I Can Change My World Without Your Approval. There was a time that I struggled to make decisions about the direction I wanted my life to go in because I had this ridiculous notion in my head that if others didn’t approve of what I was doing, I’d be an outcast. Since I’m still standing here after making the bold decision to throw caution to the wind and do what I want, I realize that was total nonsense.
- I’m unique And I Want To Be Seen That Way. If the only way I can get someone’s attention is to follow the crowd and lose my identity to the latest trending opinion or fad, then I think I’d prefer to remain a wallflower. Losing myself isn’t on my cards.
- I’m Setting An Example Of How I Expect And Deserve To Be Treated. This one was a really big deal to me. If I can’t respect myself and treat myself as someone important enough to care about then why would anyone else? If I spoke down to myself and didn’t believe in what I could do, I’d be showing the rest of the world it’s okay to do the same. I deserve better from myself and everyone else.
- Opinions Are Subjective And Not Valid Unless You’re Walking In My Shoes. I live by the philosophy that unless you’ve walked in my shoes and understand how I got to where I am, then your opinion is based on nothing but superficial presumptions. I want someone to look me in the eye, sit beside me and ask me what my story is. I want to be judged on who I really am, not who someone thinks I may be.
- Assumptions Are The Mother Of All Screw Ups. Don’t assume you know me by what you think you see or hear. I’m vibrant, I’m unique and I’m more valuable than you could ever know.