Relationships are hard work, and even more so for celebrities who have to navigate the ups and downs while in the public eye. Miley Cyrus and Liam Hemsworth really did give it a good go, but after nearly 10 years together and just under two years of marriage, the “Used To Be Young” singer knew it was over. She revealed the moment she realized she wanted a divorce in a TikTok video posted this week.
- Miley Cyrus and Liam Hemsworth tied the knot on December 23, 2018. However, by January 2020, the marriage was officially dissolved and they divorced. To many fans, the split came as a shock, especially considering the huge amount of history they shared. However, that may have been part of the problem.
- Miley opened up about the end of the relationship on TikTok. In a series of videos discussing her new single, “Used to Be Young,” she discussed everything from her sexuality to the numerous controversies she found herself at the center of over the years, as well as her relationship with Liam. That’s the one fans were looking forward to most.
- She realized it was over as she prepared to headline Glastonbury Festival. It was the summer of 2019 and Miley suddenly had an epiphany. It was just before she was going to take the stage that the realization that the marriage and their relationship “was no longer going to work in [her] life.”
- Miley Cyrus and Liam Hemsworth were drawn together by “trauma.” While she insists that their marriage “came from a place of love,” she added that it was also trauma that bound them together, especially after California wildfires destroyed their house in November 2018. “Me and Liam’s commitment to being married, of course, came from a place of love first because we had been together for 10 years, but also from a place of trauma and just trying to rebuild as quickly as we could,” she explained.
- These days, she’s more in tune with her own needs. Splitting from Hemsworth made her recognize the importance of putting herself first. “That was another moment where the work, the performance, the character came first,” she said. “I guess that’s why it’s now so important for me that not to be the case — that the human comes first.”
Used To Be Young (Series) – PART 37