When you have kids, engaging in imaginative playtime with them is just as important as disciplining them and providing for their physical needs. However, doing this isn’t always fun. One mom drew praise on TikTok for her brutally honest video in which she admitted that her daughter’s requests to play Barbies are ones she always dreads because as much as she loves her daughter, she actually hates that game. So many people could relate!
Parenting is hard, even when it’s easy. The little things really are the big things. Who knew?! #momsoftiktok #parenting #10minutes
- Just because she doesn’t like to do it doesn’t mean she doesn’t. In the clip, Lynn from Indiana revealed that while she loves doing plenty of other stuff with her daughter, from taking walks to going out to enjoy other activities, she really doesn’t like playing Barbies. However, that’s what her daughter loves to do so she tends to oblige even if she isn’t all that happy about it.
- She played with her little girl for about 10 minutes. Admittedly, Lynn’s efforts were a bit half-hearted, and she played along for about 10 minutes just to make her daughter happy. Needless to say, it wasn’t her favorite thing she did that day, but her daughter loved it and that’s all that mattered.
- The next day, her daughter asked to play Barbies again. As she was getting ready for school the next morning, her daughter asked Lynn to play Barbies again, and while she might have been tempted to turn her down, Lynn then heard something from her daughter that totally melted her heart. “I had so much fun when you played Barbies with me last night,” her daughter said. How sweet is that?
- Bottom line: doing something your kids like is always worth it. Even if you’re not thrilled about it, sometimes obliging your kids and doing something they like but you don’t can make all the difference in their day. For such a small gesture, the payoff is huge, and Lynn experienced it first-hand.
- So many parents praised Lynn for her honesty. It takes a lot of guts to admit that sometimes playing with your kids isn’t fun. Parenthood is supposed to be all about neverending joy but it’s not like that all the time. Sometimes you have to do stuff you really don’t want to do simply because it makes them happy. “Thank you for this. I really needed to hear it myself. I also hate playing with my kids, I have no patience for it,” one commenter said. “But I’ll do it more often.” Another added: “Here’s what non-parents don’t understand: just because we don’t always like it, it doesn’t mean that we don’t play with them.” Let this be a lesson!