So, you’re ready to propose to your partner. There’s no one else you’d rather spend your life with but them. Now, you want to lock things down. Choosing a ring is the first step. You want to pick something meaningful and unique that shows your partner exactly how you feel. If you or your partner appreciate less conventional jewelry, why not consider a toi et moi engagement ring? Read on to find out what it is and what you should know.
What is a toi et moi engagement ring?
A toi et moi engagement ring is a style of ring that features two stones, usually diamonds. These are set next to each other to represent the coming together of two people in a relationship. The name means “you and me” in French, which reflects the romantic symbolism of the ring. In other words, it’s perfect for hopeless romantics.
The design of this ring typically features two stones of equal or different sizes, set side by side and often held in place by a shared prong or a small bridge of metal. The stones can be any shape. However, round and pear-shaped diamonds are common. The band can be a simple metal band. Or, it can feature additional smaller diamonds or other decorative elements.
The toi et moi style of engagement ring dates back to the late 18th century and was popularized by Napoleon Bonaparte, who gave a diamond and sapphire ring to Josephine de Beauharnais in 1796. Today, these rings continue to be a popular choice for engagements, as they offer a unique and meaningful way to symbolize the bond between a couple as they embark on a new phase in their lives and relationships.
Why it makes a beautiful and unconventional engagement choice
- It has a unique symbolism. The two stones on the ring symbolize the union of two people in a life-long relationship. This can be a unique and romantic way to express your commitment to your partner. If you’re into hyperromantic symbolism, this will be an attractive option.
- It features an unconventional design. The toi et moi style is not as common as traditional engagement ring designs, making it a unique and unconventional choice. This lets you show off your personal style while also expressing your individuality. Plus, because they’re less common than standard engagement rings, you’re sure to get lots of attention!
- It’s a ring with history. This style of ring dates back to the late 18th century. Admittedly, not everyone idolizes Napoleon, but history buffs and those who love digging into the history of objects will appreciate this fact. If you need a more recent example, Jackie Kennedy had one! In any case, proposing with a toi et moi ring can be a way to connect to a historical tradition while also expressing your modern love story.
- It can easily be customized. The unique design of this engagement ring allows for a lot of personalization. You can choose different types of stones, sizes, and settings to make the ring truly unique and meaningful to you and your partner. Sure, you can customize standard engagement rings. However, the double stone feature of this ring lets you go the extra mile.
Things to consider before choosing a toi et moi engagement ring
- What style and design do you prefer? A toi et moi engagement ring features two stones which are typically the same size. However, there are various styles and designs of such rings available in the market, including different types of metal, setting, gemstones, and shapes. Consider your partner’s taste and style to ensure the ring suits their personality and preferences.
- What’s your budget? Engagement rings come in a range of prices. Admittedly, the toi et moi style can add an extra cost as it features two stones. Decide on your budget before you start shopping and stick to it, keeping in mind that other wedding expenses will follow. It’s essential to choose a ring that you can afford and that reflects the value of your relationship. Please don’t go into debt over a ring. After all, if your partner loves you, they won’t care if you spent $50 or $5,000.
- Is the ring good quality? The quality of the stones is essential when choosing an engagement ring. Look for certified diamonds or gemstones and check the quality of the metal used in the ring. It’s crucial to choose a ring that is durable and will last for many years. Of course, you do have to consider budget. You may not be able to afford top-tier materials. However, you can find good quality at a decent price with a bit of digging.
- Are you buying the right size? To ensure a perfect fit, it’s essential to know your partner’s finger size before purchasing a ring. This is true regardless of which style ring you’re purchasing. You can ask a jeweler to measure their finger or sneakily borrow one of their existing rings to get the right size.
- Is the ring ethically sourced? Consider the ethical and sustainable sourcing of the materials used to make the ring. Look for jewelers who follow ethical practices and source conflict-free diamonds or lab-grown stones. After all, you don’t want messy history attached to this beautiful jewelry.
- Will it hold sentimental value? Consider the sentimental value of the ring, which can be enhanced by adding personal touches such as engraving, using a specific gemstone or metal, or choosing a design with meaning. It’s essential to select a ring that represents your unique love story. You know your partner better than anyone. So, put that knowledge to good use when choosing a ring.