Ugly Christmas sweaters are one of my favorite holiday traditions. There are no designs too hideous to wear—in fact, the more unsightly, the better. However, someone over in the quality control department at Walmart may have lost their job this December since the company had to apologize for and recall this sweater featuring Santa with a giant coke habit.
— Zorina Baksh (@Zorina_Baksh) December 7, 2019
- “Let it snow,” indeed. I mean, I know Santa has to work at lightning speed to ensure toys are delivered to boys and girls all over the world in one night, but does he have to resort to narcotics to make it happen?
- There’s literally no other way to interpret this sweater. It’s not even like he’s outside during a snowstorm, about to have a snowball fight with the elves or anything. This is just Santa sitting on his couch in front of the TV about to snort a pile of eight-balls all by his lonesome.
- This was clearly done on purpose. This sweater was no doubt approved because people thought it was hilarious, which… I guess it is? I’m not personally offended by it, but I do think it’s a hot mess to put this on shelves, especially because I do think there will be some naive pepaws who don’t really get the intent.
- To be fair, Walmart themselves weren’t selling the product. The Santa coke sweaters were being sold by a third party, which the retailer allows on its website. However, because the sweaters appeared on Walmart’s domain, they were liable for it since someone should really be checking what goes on sale on there.
- Walmart issued an apology. “These sweaters, sold by a third-party seller on Walmart.ca, do not represent Walmart’s values and have no place on our website. We have removed these products from our marketplace. We apologize for any unintended offense this may have caused,” a Walmart spokesperson told Global News.
- The sweater has now been removed from the site. That’s truly a shame because the product description was truly hilarious. “We all know how snow works. It’s white, powdery and the best snow comes straight from South America. That’s bad news for jolly old St. Nick, who lives far away in the North Pole. That’s why Santa really likes to savor the moment when he gets his hands on some quality, grade A, Colombian snow,” it read. “He packs it in perfect lines on his coffee table and then takes a big whiff to smell the high quality aroma of the snow. It’s exactly what he needs to get inspired for Christmas Eve.”
- I wonder if any of these will turn up on eBay? I’m sure there are people who would pay a pretty penny for them just for the lolz.