As the old saying goes, men are from Mars and women are from Venus. While the differences between the sexes aren’t actually that bad, it’s true that we’ve both got our own quirks and habits that frankly annoy the hell out of each other and don’t really make sense to the ways our brains are wired. Below are some things girls do that guys hate, but so what? Keep doing you!
- Tuning out when we’re on our phones (and being generally obsessed with social media) Sure, it can come off as rude depending on the circumstances, or it might make that hot guy you’re with think you’re not into him. But is it really any worse than a guy ignoring you for his video games? I don’t think so.
- Taking eight million selfies In the car, with our dogs, trying out 67 different kissy faces… Selfies could make it seem like we’re obsessed with ourselves, but that’s not the case at all. In fact, we’re just giving ourselves a much-needed self-esteem boost. Would he rather we be hung up on all our flaws instead?
- Saying “I’m fine” when we’re not Admittedly, guys say they aren’t always tuned in enough to know the difference between when we’re actually fine and when we’re going to make their lives a living hell later on. Sometimes this is just a reaction to their lack of attention or effort. After all, if he won’t open up, it doesn’t necessarily make us want to, either. It’s called self-preservation.
- Gossiping This is one of the most annoying things girls do that guys hate. When we’re out with a guy and one of our girlfriends shows up that we haven’t seen in a while, sometimes we can’t stop gossiping about who’s hooking up, how fat we’re getting, etc. Guys don’t care about that at all and they find it annoying when we talk about it (usually loudly and obnoxiously) in front of them. However, we listen to him go on and on to his friends about sports and other “macho guy stuff,” so he needs to get over it.
- Wearing a ton of lipstick when kissing them In general, guys don’t like lipstick if you’re going to be locking lips. They don’t like the way it feels or tastes and especially don’t like the color lingering on their lips. However, he should be lucky that we’re kissing him in the first place, so if he wants to complain, he can go without.
- Complaining about our weight but not doing anything about it Guys love all kinds of girls — skinny, full-figured, whatever. What they don’t like is when we endlessly bitch about what we look like but don’t try to fix it. Nothing is less sexy than complaining about something without looking for a solution. Sure, I can see how this is annoying, but sometimes a little affirmation that we’re attractive can go a long way in shutting us up, even if that’s not the reason we’re saying it.
- Always being late because we take too long to get ready Guys appreciate how much pride we take in our appearances, but they hate when we’re late because of it. They don’t want us to stop looking amazing, but they’d appreciate it if we’d start getting ready earlier so we can get where we need to go on time. It’s a reasonable expectation, so long as they’re not turning up in sweatpants and a wrinkled t-shirt themselves for the sake of saving time.
- Comparing ourselves to other women This is probably one of the sweetest complaints guys have. They hate when we tear ourselves down because of another woman. They think we’re beautiful, smart, and sexy and they want us to think that way, too. When we point out other women who we think are better looking, guys find it really annoying. Self-confidence is sexy, but they should understand that self-doubt is common and not a huge deal, generally speaking.