People are forever confusing cockiness for confidence, and vice versa. In actuality, they’re VERY different. Needless to say, we all want a guy who’s confident — cockiness is usually just a smoke screen for horrible qualities like low self-esteem, immaturity, and narcissism. But how do you tell a confident guy and a cocky one apart? We’re here to help.
1. A confident guy will ask you out if he’s into you because he recognizes your worth. A cocky guy will expect you to come to him because he doesn’t think he should have to make an effort.
2. A confident guy is honest about what he wants and his behavior shows it; a cocky guy plays games and is completely inconsistent because he thinks you’ll wait around.
3. A confident guy doesn’t keep tabs on you because he trusts you and has faith in your relationship; a cocky guy thinks it’s his right to know your every move and will expect you to relay that info regularly.
4. confident guy thinks your guy friends are awesome and loves hanging out with them; a cocky guy doesn’t stop talking about how he’s better than them and how you need a new crew.
5. confident guy cares about getting to know you so he can see if you’re a good match; a cocky guy can’t stop talking about himself because that’s all he cares about.
6. A confident guy wants to show you off because he recognizes your worth; a cocky guy forgets you’re even there or denies your role in his life.
7. A confident guy is proud of your accomplishments and loves being by your side throughout all of them. A cocky guy constantly compares your accomplishments to his because he has a superiority complex.
8. A confident guy takes care of his health for his own well-being because he wants to live a long, healthy life; a cocky guy has an Instagram account full of mirror gym selfies. It’s all about the likes and comments.
9. A confident guy takes no for an answer because he respects you; a cocky guy pressures you until you give him what he thinks he deserves, regardless of how uncomfortable it makes you.
10. A confident guy admits when he’s wrong. A cocky guy argues his (completely indefensible) point until the cows come home. It’s easier to just agree with him to get him to shut up.
11. A confident guy wants to hear your opinion because he’s always open to expanding his worldview; a cocky guy doesn’t even know you have one. And if he does, he doesn’t care — his is the only one that matters.
12. A confident guy brags about how great you are to his friends because he wants them to appreciate your awesomeness like he does; a cocky guy doesn’t tell his friends you exist. If he does, he doesn’t say much about you. It’s almost like he’s not proud to be with you.
13. A confident guy writes a few lines about himself on his online dating profile. A cocky guy writes nothing and thinks the blurry ab photo should speak for itself. This is the same kind of guy who sends a d*ck pic by way of introduction.
14. A confident guy trusts your judgment and knows you can take care of yourself; a cocky guy will tell you what’s best for you and won’t hear otherwise.
15. A confident guy is your equal and that’s the way he wants it; a cocky guy thinks he’s better than you.
16. A confident guy swallows his pride and just gives you a hug when something goes wrong; a cocky guy regularly says “I told you so” when you make a mistake. His gloating is off-putting, to say the least.
17. A confident guy isn’t afraid to commit to an amazing woman. A cocky guy always thinks he can do better and that the grass is greener elsewhere. Good luck with that, bud.