You know that moment when you meet someone and just instantly click? You don’t know how it happens, but all of sudden, you become best friends. We choose people in this life; some stick around and some don’t. But when you find your best friend — the one who will ride with you through the good, the bad, and the ugly — that’s when you know that you’ve hit the jackpot. Here’s how you know that your best friend is actually your soulmate.
Platonic soulmates are totally a thing
Finding your soulmate in a friend rather than in a romantic partner is actually pretty common. Given that soulmates are people with whom we share deep connections and that teach us important lessons about ourselves and about life in general, it’s likely we’ll even experience several of these relationships in our lifetimes if we’re extra lucky. More and more people these days are feeling fulfilled by having a best friend as a soulmate rather than desperately seeking it in a romantic relationship.
Platonic soulmates can be just as special and life-changing as those we’re in committed romantic partnerships with. They encourage us, support us, and help us become the best version of ourselves on a daily basis. They make us feel loved and appreciated while also challenging us and calling us out on our sh*t. In many ways, it feels like a friend soulmate knows us better than we know ourselves. It’s a really special connection.
Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin, Pedro Pascal and Oscar Isaac, Kate Winslet and Leonardo DiCaprio, Winona Ryder and Keanu Reeves, Oprah and Gayle King… Need more evidence that platonic soulmates are here to stay?
Signs your best friend is your soulmate
- You communicate without actually speaking sometimes. You’re so close that you can communicate just by looking at each other. The weird part is that they completely understand what you’re trying to say without you saying it. That’s the mark not just of a best friend but a soulmate too.
- You unknowingly wear coordinated/matching outfits when you’re together. You show up at her house and you’re both wearing a striped shirt and jeans. How did that happen? No idea, but it happens quite often and you’re basically twinning everywhere you go. You’re obviously on the same wavelength, which is pretty cool.
- Even when you’re not together, you can sense if something is wrong with the other. Those days when you’re feeling sad and lonely, your best friend’s telekinetic powers kick in. She’s there for you before you even get the chance to reach out. She shows up at your door with snacks and an ear to listen, and you immediately feel better.
- You finish each other’s sentences. One of you is telling a story and the other one jumps in and flawlessly finishes what you were about to say. You know your best friend/soulmate so well that you can predict what the other one is going to say before they even say it.
- You have a never-ending list of inside jokes that don’t make sense to anyone else. No one else understands your sense of humor and everyone feels left out when you’re the only two people who are hysterically laughing. Half of the jokes you have don’t even make sense to you, but that kind of makes them even funnier.
- You can go weeks, months, or even years without seeing her and you’re able to pick up right where you left off. Time is irrelevant when it comes to catching up. You never miss a beat and you can and the nature of your friendship has always been constant, no matter how much time has passed. Even when life takes over and gets too hectic to hang out, you know with certainty that you’d drop everything to be by each other’s side if needed.
- You’re literally incapable of staying mad at her for an extended amount of time. Sure, you may get into a fight from time to time, but you can’t stand the idea of not talking to each other. You apologize without hesitation because you know how huge of a loss it would be for your friendship to end. You don’t fight that much anyway because you know one another too well to have too many disagreements.
- She’s the first person you call when you have big news (or any news at all). Whether it’s something as monumental as getting engaged or something as small as “I had oatmeal for breakfast,” you tell her first and can’t imagine it being any other way. This doesn’t change even when you’re in a romantic relationship. Your best friend is your soulmate, which means when something happens, she has to be in the know ASAP.
- She’ll tell you the truth even if it hurts your feelings. A good friend will tell you a white lie to make you feel better, but a great friend will tell you the ugly truth because she knows it’s the right thing to do. She won’t beat around the bush and tell you that she likes the guy you’re dating if she actually can’t stand him. She knows you deserve the best and she’s always looking out for you.
- She’s consistently the most important person in your life. You love your family, of course. And, when you’re dating someone they’re a priority too. However, your best friend always comes first. You’ve been through so much together over the years and have a connection that doesn’t come along every day. You’re not about to take that for granted.
- You basically come as a pair. Where you go, she goes, and the same is true in reverse. People know that when they invite you somewhere, your best friend is going to come with you. Whether it’s a work party, a family gathering, or a mutual friend’s birthday drinks, you’ll show up together. When you do happen to go somewhere on your own, people wonder where the other one is and why you’re not together. It’s just not the norm for you to be apart.
- When people talk about soulmates, you immediately think of your best friend. There’s just no one else that comes to mind. You know that life will change and so will you, but there’s no doubt in your mind that you’ll be best friends forever. You never want to take her for granted because you know that good friends are hard to come by. Having such an amazing one who’s never let you down and has always encouraged you to be your best self isn’t something you’re going to lose.
How is having a friend soulmate different from having a romantic partner or a twin flame?
Other than the obvious — you don’t have sex with your friends, of course — there are a few differences between these types of relationships.
- The emotional connection is different. Platonic soulmates are strongly emotional connections, and they share that with twin flames and romantic partners. However, they differ in that romantic partners have a sexual connection mixed in while twin flames add in a spiritual element.
- Having a friend soulmate requires less commitment. When you’re in a proper relationship, there’s an expectation that you’ll dedicate a good chunk of time and energy to your partner. Twin flames are also time-consuming due to their intense nature. Platonic soulmates, however, are a bit more casual. While your relationship is strong and unique, it can survive a bit more space than the others.
- The compatibility is different. There are probably tons of things you love about your friend on a platonic level but you’d never want those qualities in a romantic partner. Likewise, twin flames are inexplicably drawn to each other and almost feel powerless to fight it. You’re compatible with your friend soulmate, of course. However, it’s not on the level it would take to sustain a more intense relationship.