In today’s world, attitude can make or break you. Many people believe that everyone can be categorized as either an optimist or a pessimist, but that’s both a myth and an outrage to those of us who are neither. We’re realists, and we’re here to set the record straight. If you believe that the proverbial glass is either half empty or half full, you’re forgetting that the glass could be filled to the brim or emptied to the last drop within seconds because that’s how unpredictable life is. Realists are the happy medium that know how to make sense of the world, and that’s just one advantage.
- We really are hoping for the best outcome, but we’ve also considered the other options. Of course we don’t want things to go wrong, but we know that it’s always a possibility. We have a backup plan in place because we want to be as prepared as possible if the best outcome doesn’t turn out to be a reality (not because we secretly want bad things to happen).
- We’re always prepared for the absolute worst, because we’re smart. Let’s be honest; it’s great to always have a cheerful outlook, but it’s downright stupid to think that’s the only possible outcome. We prefer to be prepared for anything, because there’s nothing more valuable than a Plan B when you need one.
- We don’t trust everyone, and that’s a good thing. We think it’s so cute when we meet someone who automatically trusts everyone and believes everyone is full of kindness. We also think they’re incredibly naïve. Many of us started out that way ourselves, until we discovered that not everyone is good inside and that we should have higher standards for who we trust, because some people will destroy others mercilessly to achieve their own agendas.
- We work hard to achieve our goals because we don’t believe that good things just happen on their own. We believe that good things come to those who work their asses off and go make it happen, so that’s exactly what we do. We’re not expecting any miracles or favors; we’re okay with putting in the necessary effort to ensure that we get the results we want realistically.
- We believe in love, but we also know that some guys use the L word to try to take advantage of us. When we meet someone new and we’re skeptical, it’s not because we honestly believe that every single man in the world is a scumbag. It’s because we know that a certain percentage of them are, and we want to carefully avoid those ones.
- We’re not easily beguiled by frenemies. Everyone has had a frenemy; that person who calls you and wants to hang out, finds out secrets about you, and blabs them all over town. We’re naturally careful about who we let into our lives, so we’re on the lookout for sketchy behavior. If the frenemy manages to fool us even once (which can be difficult), we take it as a lesson not to trust that person again.
- We don’t care what you think and we’re not changing. It drives us crazy when people tell us that we shouldn’t be so negative or untrusting of people. Oh, you want me to change my entire personality for you? Let me get right on that! We like being realistic about life and the future, and we know that it helps us get through each day with as few complications as possible.