Whether or not you grew up playing with the iconic doll, you’re likely familiar with Barbie. She’s fun, campy, and she really loves the color pink. There have been plenty of animated movies and TV shows about Barbara Millicent Roberts and her friends and family, but none of them were live-action… until now. Margot Robbie and Ryan Gosling are our real-life Barbie and Ken, and getting even a glimpse of them in the first “Barbie” trailer is way too exciting.
- Greta Gerwig is behind the “Barbie” movie. She wrote the script along with husband and fellow filmmaker Noah Baumbach. Between them, they have some pretty impressive titles under their belts. Think “Francis Ha,” “Lady Bird,” and the latest “Little Women” for Gerwig and “Marriage Story,” “The Squid and the Whale,” and “The Fantastic Mr. Fox” for Baumbach. And that’s just to name a few!
- The “Barbie” trailer is everything fans will have been hoping for. While it’s merely a teaser and is only just over a minute long, it still gives fans plenty to chew on as we await more footage. The clip shows children playing with baby dolls as a voiceover explains that there was no other choice for kids when it came to dolls… until Barbie came along. All of a sudden, there she is in full vintage glory. It’s mesmerizing, larger than life (literally), and really funny.
- Robbie herself is really excited to play the classic doll. In a 2019 interview with Variety, Robbie thought it was important that Barbie was brought to life with real people. “I think it’s a great opportunity to put some positivity out in the world and a chance to be aspirational for younger kids,” she said.
- The cast of the movie is ridiculously on point. While Robbie and Gosling are great choices for leads, that’s not all “Barbie” will have to offer. Expect to see some other incredible faces on screen, including but not limited to “Sex Education” stars Emma Mackey and Ncuti Gatwa, “Bridgerton” and “Derry Girls” actress Nicola Coughlan, “SNL” alums Will Ferrell and Kate McKinnon, plus Michael Cera, America Ferrera, Issa Rae, and so many more.
- We’ll have to wait a while longer before we get to go and see it. The “Barbie” trailer promises great things to come. However, the movie doesn’t actually come out until July 21, 2023. For now, we’ll have to keep watching that clip over and over again and dreaming about all the campy fun coming our way next summer.