As exciting as it can be to finally embark on your dream vacation, unless you’re flying business or first class, the whole process of getting there can seriously suck. Being sardined into a little tin box in the sky for many hours isn’t anyone’s idea of fun, but one couple claims that their 13-hour flight was ruined for a whole other reason: a dog with a serious gas problem.
- Gill and Warren Press, from New Zealand, were traveling from Paris to Singapore. Their 13-hour long-haul flight should have been reasonably comfortable as they paid for an upgrade to premium economy. That’s not quite as fancy as business class, but it does offer a bit more legroom and some other perks to make long journeys a little less miserable.
- Unfortunately, a farting dog took all the joy out of their trip. The couple wasn’t thrilled when, early on in the journey, they heard “heavy snorting” and realized someone in the row brought a dog with them on the flight, they told Stuff. The dog’s owner explained to the Presses that they have anxiety and that having the dog helps them.
- The Presses say the dog wasn’t happy to be on an airplane. According to them, the dog was stressed out, and they asked a flight attendant if they could move their seats. However, there were none available in premium economy, so if they wanted to move, they’d have to take the downgrade and go to regular economy. Unsurprisingly, they stayed where they were.
- The dog was allegedly farting up a storm. The Presses say the stench was absolutely horrendous, but the drama didn’t stop there. According to Gill, the dog was too big, meaning its head got a little too close to Warren’s leg than he’d have liked. This led to him “getting the dog’s saliva good on his leg.” A real tragedy, we’re sure!
- Eventually, they decided to move to economy. They couldn’t bear being around a stinky, slobbery dog anymore, so they accepted the indignity of downgrading their seats. However, staff assured them that the airlines would get in touch soon to make it up to them.
- They want a complete refund from Singapore Airlines. When the Presses complained to the airline about the indignities they’d suffered, they were offered a voucher for NZ $125 each, which is the difference between the economy and premium economy seats. That offer was eventually updated to NZ $200, but they’re not feeling it – they want their entire tickets refunded.
- Singapore Airlines has released a statement. They told Tyla: “Singapore Airlines (SIA) apologizes to Mr. and Mrs. Press for their experience on board their flight from Paris to Singapore. SIA endeavors to notify customers who may be seated next to an assistance dog prior to boarding. In circumstances where customers seated next to an assistance dog request to be moved, we will assist to re-seat customers within the same cabin if space permits. In this instance, we were unable to move Mr. and Mrs. Press within the same cabin as the Premium Economy Class cabin was full. Our crew offered to move Mr. and Mrs. Press to two empty seats in Economy Class, which they accepted after take-off. We are in contact with them to provide further necessary assistance on this matter.”