We all know the feeling of being on a dating app and talking to a seemingly nice guy, only to suddenly be bombarded with a picture of his junk out of nowhere. No one asked for that and chances are you definitely didn’t want it. Well, Badoo has come up with a solution to this problem and will use AI to automatically detect and blur these unsolicited photos.
- Badoo has previously been described as being “like Facebook for sex.” However, the dating app wants to clean up its reputation as well as its actual content, hence the introduction of the technology to bring things down to a more respectable PG-13 level instead of the X-rated place it’s been for the past several years.
- They claim the technology is 98% accurate. The Daily Mail reports that Badoo believes their AI can catch up to 98% of offensive photos and automatically blurs them to shield unsuspecting eyes from seeing something they potentially really don’t want to see.
- Don’t worry, you still have a chance to view the content. If you are trying to get freaky on Badoo, no one’s going to stop you, necessarily. If someone sends you a risque photo, you’ll get a pop-up that warns you that it could contain “inappropriate content.” From there, you can either open the photo or block it and report the user to the app’s team.
- The technology isn’t necessarily new. Bumble, the dating app geared more towards women, introduced a similar feature last year, so Badoo is slightly behind the curve here. Better late than never! I feel like this feature should be part of every dating app out there. I’d certainly appreciate it!
- So what kind of images are they covering up exactly? You know, the standard. From d**k pics to nudes to any other image the app detects as being potentially offensive or “of an intimate nature.” Fair enough! “The safety of our users is of the utmost importance to us and we continuously seek to be at the forefront of technological advances which enable us to help protect daters on our platform,” said Natasha Briefel, UK marketing director at Badoo. “The private detector is one of many safety features we have implemented on Badoo, which also includes profile verification, photo moderation, and chat limits. We want to create a safe space for our users where they feel empowered to chat, meet, and date honestly while giving them the best chance of forming a real connection.” It should make the online dating experience a lot more pleasant!