A 27-year-old mom of two was just trying to have a bit of fun by joining in on the TikTok craze and attempting to learn the viral dance that goes along with Slim Burna’s “Oh Na Na Na.” Unfortunately, things didn’t go quite to plan and she actually ended up with two broken ankles as well as torn ligaments. Oh dear!
- Sapphire Charlesworth did not expect this! When she and girlfriend Naadjele Lartey began practicing the dance last Wednesday with plans of uploading it to TikTok when they got it right, they had high hopes for their performance. Sadly, they were never able to do that because Sapphire ended up at the ER.
- So what went wrong? As Sapphire, from Chester-le-Street in England, told Chronicle Live, “We were just practicing, and as I went to turn I slipped and heard ‘crack, crack’ and then I was in a heap on the floor. It hurt so so bad. I think my partner thought I was exaggerating, she had to pick me up and we were trying to wait to see if the pain wore off but then we had to phone an ambulance.”
- Sapphire’s injuries were really serious. We’re not talking about a minor sprain here. After having x-rays at the University Hospital of North Durham, Sapphire discovered that she had a badly broken left ankle, a fractured right ankle, and broken ligaments in her right foot as well. Now, she’s unable to walk and her partner is having to help look after her as well as Sapphire’s two children.
- Dancing is fun, but you should be careful. Sapphire issued a stark warning for anyone who wants to get in on the TikTok dance craze, telling them to be careful and realize that they’re not going to turn into Fred Astaire overnight. “To anyone thinking of trying it, I’d say approach with caution, and it’s not as easy as it looks,” she said.
- Well, this has definitely put me off. I’ve been tempted to try a few TikTok dances myself, but after hearing Sapphire’s story, I feel like I’m better off giving it a miss.