Having a baby is a wonderfully rewarding and life-changing experience, and one that no mother will ever be able to forget. It’s natural that such a profound occasion would be something that one would want a keepsake from, so on that level, I can understand why moms are going crazy for umbilical cord jewelry. Yes, it’s a thing.
- The umbilical cord is what provides the baby with everything it needs while in the womb. Through the umbilical cord, the fetus receives oxygenated blood and other vital nutrients and sends away waste products and deoxygenated blood back towards the placenta. In other words, it’s incredibly important.
- Most parents throw the umbilical cord away but others want to keep it. After the umbilical cord is cut following the baby’s birth, parents just have to keep the stump left behind clean until it falls off in a week or so. It’s normal at this point to throw the stump away, but if you wanted to save it, you could always turn it into umbilical cord jewelry…
- Several companies are offering umbilical cord jewelry. From Speckled Milk, which also offers breastmilk jewelry, to fine jewelry artist Ruth Avra, several companies are happy to turn a preserved umbilical cord into a memorable piece of jewelry for parents to treasure forever.
- So wait, how does it work? Avra’s practice involves tracing the cord into a wax mold before cutting the shape out and preserving the piece in gold or silver. Some people even have the cord preserved in resin for an extra unique look. It really all depends on the client’s desires.
- Admittedly, it is a bit of a strange idea. There will be many people who just can’t get on board with umbilical cord jewelry and it’s true that it is an odd accessory choice. However, if that’s how a new mom or dad wants to remember the birth and commemorate the experience, why not? To each their own (and these designs do look really good).