Police Say ‘No Foul Play’ Suspected Over Man’s Body Found Wrapped In Plastic And Rolled Up In A Rug

Police Say ‘No Foul Play’ Suspected Over Man’s Body Found Wrapped In Plastic And Rolled Up In A Rug Baton Rouge Police Department | WSBTV

Police in Louisiana have claimed that there was no foul play involved in the death of a Georgia man who’d gone missing for more than a week before his body was found wrapped in plastic and rolled up in a rug in a vacant lot in Baton Rouge. According to WBRZ, the Baton Rouge Police Department said 42-year-old Nathan Millard had been dead for a while by the time he was found around 3:30 a.m. on Monday, May 6.

The following day, the East Baton Rouge Coroner’s Office published initial autopsy results that revealed something rather perplexing. Nathan Millard’s body showed no signs of trauma of any kind, internal or external. Because of the lack of immediate evidence, the cause of death still hasn’t been established.

While Millard being discarded of in such a way clearly implies criminality, the BRPD disagrees. They’re not looking into this as a homicide. “At this time, we don’t have any indication that there was any foul play involved. We are looking into how he ended up where he was,” said Capt. Kevin Heinz at a press conference.

Millard had traveled from Georgia to Louisiana for a business trip. While there, his wife, Amber, told WSB-TV that he’d gone to a college basketball game and to a local pub before disappearing on February 23. She said that surveillance footage later showed an unknown individual using her husband’s debit card. His phone and wallet were found discarded on the ground several blocks away from Happy’s Irish Pub, where he was last seen. A bartender at the establishment cut him off because he was too drunk, WBRZ says.

What happened to Nathan Millard next is largely unknown

Authorities pieced together what Nathan Millard did in the hours before his disappearance. They shared that shortly after 12:30 a.m., about an hour after he left the bar, he talked with a security guard at a local Greyhound bus station. “The security guard offered to call him a ride, get him an Uber, to call the police for him…” Capt. Heinz shared. “He didn’t appear to be in distress. She just felt as though he was out of place. He declined that offer, and he left of his own accord.”

Surveillance cameras also showed him at several other businesses in the area, though they noted that he never appeared to be in “distress.” Millard was last seen alive at around 4:30 a.m.

Police believe that Millard died in another location and that someone moved his body to the lot. They’ve urged anyone with any information on his disappearance or death to come forward.

Jennifer Still is a writer and editor with more than 10 years of experience. The managing editor of Bolde, she has bylines in Vanity Fair, Business Insider, The New York Times, Glamour, Bon Appetit, and many more. You can follow her on Twitter @jenniferlstill