It’s finally time to meet your guy’s friends… but where are all the guys? You suddenly realize some of your man’s closest friends are women. Now what? First things first, you’ve gotta put the jealousy away for now. You might be surprised to know a boyfriend with female friends is a good thing. Of course, you have scumbags that are sleeping with all those friends, but for the most part, these guys are good if you can get past your insecurities. Why? I’ll tell you.
- He understands women. A guy that hangs out with women often gets a much needed education into the way women think and act. When you say you’re “fine”, he’ll actually know better. He’s not going to automatically think you’re mad when you have a mood swing now and then. He’ll understand and even expect it. If you’ve been looking for a guy that gets you, this type of boyfriend is your best chance.
- He respects women. Do you honestly think he’d have any female friends if he didn’t respect women? There’s a reason these other women like him. He’s a decent guy. That doesn’t mean there’s anything going on besides friendship, either. You’re only friends with people who respect you. The same goes with your boyfriend. If he’s nice and respectful to them, he’ll be the same way with you.
- It’s easier to relate. Trying to enter the guy’s club is difficult. Guys have extremely close knit friend groups. It’s even worse when it’s all guys – they’re even closer than the closest girlfriends. When you’re dealing with other women, it’s easier to find things in common. They’re more likely to accept you or at least give you a chance. Guy friends tend to be very judgmental and possessive. Women know how hard it is and are much easier to talk to when you first meet.
- They’ll let him know when he’s wrong. Female friends have no problem letting their male friends know when they’ve royally screwed up. It’s one of the reasons guys like having female friends. They can explain why you’re so angry. They’re not afraid to call him out and tell him what he did and what he needs to do to fix it.
- They’ll make sure he apologizes the right way. They’re not going to let him off the hook after an explanation; they’re going to make sure he apologizes, too. They know how bad it is to get a mumbled “I’m sorry” and some wilted flowers. They’ll coach him through how to give you a sincere apology and what to do to really make things up to you, such as dinner at that restaurant you’ve been dying to try.
- You get better gifts. Boyfriends try, but they’re not always the best gift givers. Those with female friends do a lot better. They’ve not only learned from experience, but they have women to guide them while they shop. Forget ugly Christmas sweaters – you’ll actually get something nice that fits. They’ve seen what happens when their friends get crappy gifts from their guys. They learn and they’re far better shoppers because of it.
- He’ll be more relaxed around you. We’re naturally more reserved around another sex. The more friends we have of that sex, the more relaxed we become around them. A boyfriend with female friends isn’t going to be obsessed about his every move. His friends have already helped him be a better version of himself, such as not farting as loudly as possible in public. He knows what is and isn’t appropriate and doesn’t have to over think everything.
- He’s more confident. Guys who aren’t around women that much tend to be a little insecure. They’ll either overcompensate by being an ass (based on horrible advice from their guy friends) or they’ll be so shy it’s hard to get to really know them. When your guy has female friends, he’s more confident. It might sound strange, but it’s true. He’s more comfortable being himself and he knows how to act around women. It’s the perfect boyfriend combination.
- He chose you. Many women automatically assume their boyfriend must have a thing for all of his female friends. He doesn’t. All genders really can just be friends. Let all your jealousy go and revel in the fact that he chose you. He could have chosen one of his friends. Instead, you’re the one he can’t get enough of. You’re the one he goes on endlessly about with all his friends. At the worst, his friends might get a little annoyed from hearing so much about you. You’re the one he wants. Accept it and be happy.
- You can have male friends. If your boyfriend has female friends, he can’t be jealous when you have male friends. All you have to do is point out this fact and anything arguments he might have are silenced. Obviously, you both need to hang out with each other’s friends to be more comfortable with the situation. Doing this helps end the petty jealousies and makes you both feel better about each other being friends with another sex. Got a lot of male friends? Find a guy with female friends. Who knows? Maybe your friends will hit it off, too.
Don’t push a great guy away because his friends are women. He’s a better guy for having those friends. Enjoy the perks and enjoy being with him.