If you’re honest with yourself, part of you has been secretly holding out hopes that you and your ex will get back together. It’s not that you don’t understand why you broke up or even that you don’t know why it had to happen, it’s just that in some way, you almost feel like you belong together. However, are you kidding yourself? If any of these things are true, your ex has moved on and you should really follow suit.
- He’s given you all your stuff back. Generally speaking, if he’s keeping at least a few of your things around, he’s probably got some leftover sentimentality he’s holding onto when it comes to you. However, if you find that every last item you left at his place has been returned to you, your ex has moved on. This is even clearer when he makes it a point to get it back to you ASAP after the breakup.
- He’s blocked and/or deleted you on social media. As hard as it is not to get offended by this, try to appreciate the logic. Going no contact after a breakup isn’t just preferable for many people, it’s actually kinda vital in helping you process emotions and move on from them. You can’t start to get over someone if your social media feeds are bombarded with selfies and status updates, right? That being said, if you ended things on okay enough terms, there should come a time when even if you don’t actively follow each other, you don’t need to have each other blocked. If he’s made it so that there’s literally zero way of seeing what he’s up to online, your ex has moved on.
- He’s moved out of town/state. He’s obviously not holding a flame for you if he’s left the physical area, you feel me? He’s not suddenly going to call you up from halfway across the country and ask if you want to be his long-distance girlfriend. He’s moved on physically as well as emotionally and you’re nothing but a memory now. It’s best you move on too.
- He’s active on dating apps. Sure, he could just be looking for a quick fix, a rebound hookup to take his mind off the pain of losing you. However, he could also legitimately be trying to move on and find a new girlfriend. If it’s been a few months since your breakup and you notice he’s created some pretty in-depth profiles that took time and effort, sorry, but your ex has well and truly moved on.
- He has a new girlfriend. It doesn’t get much clearer than this. Chances are, he’s not just trying to make you jealous or using a really clever way of trying to get you back. He really has closed that chapter of his life and is onto a new one. It sucks but it happens.