For millennials and even older Gen Zers, it can be hard to keep up with the latest slang. “The kids,” as pretty much anyone younger than you is called, are always coming up with new terms to communicate with and befuddle the elders. One of the most recent ones gaining traction on TikTok (where else?) is “rizz.” Even if you only watch videos of people organizing their fridge or making a 9,000-calorie dessert, you may have come across this phrase. But what is rizz and why the hell is everyone saying it? Read on to find out.
What does rizz mean, anyway?
The term was coined by a New York-based YouTuber and Twitch streamer named Kai Cenat. He has a huge social media presence and is therefore considered somewhat of a tastemaker. He’s the one you can thank for coming up with the concept and meaning of rizz. He originally came up with the idea back in 2021 but it’s only recently started to gain traction.
So, what is it? Basically, rizz can be described as mojo or game. It’s how good you are at picking up a romantic partner. Can you flirt like no one’s business? Are people naturally drawn to you because of how charismatic you are? You’ve got major rizz.
It’s worth noting that there are three separate kinds of rizz: W, V, and L. The best kind is W, while the worst is L. However, all rizz is ultimately good. You can even increase yours like currency with enough hard work. And while this term used to be used by guys to refer to how good they were at picking up women, it’s now applied to all genders. If you’re charismatic and charming, you’ve got rizz, end of story.
What is unspoken rizz?
Rizz implies a certain level of effort to gain. You have to learn how to read people and learn a certain level of swagger and confidence if you want to achieve it. However, that’s not the case with unspoken rizz.
Admittedly, the unspoken form is super rare and something not many people have in this lifetime. And if you weren’t born with it, you’re out of luck. That’s because unspoken rizz is all about being so attractive, charismatic, and alluring that it comes naturally to you, no work needed.
Is this really a thing?
Admittedly, we probably didn’t need another word to describe a basic concept that’s been around all the time. It is, in essence, all about sex appeal. And yes, some people simply ooze it while others have to work a bit harder. However, as long as dating and relationships are a thing, rizz will be too. The only question is, do you have it? If you’re not sure (or you’d like more of it), there are a few simple things you can do.
How to increase your own rizz
- Display positive body language — nonverbal communication is everything. If you sit around with your arms crossed looking like you’re going to punch anyone who approaches you, don’t be surprised if they never do. Not only do you want to seem open and friendly, but you also need to be relaxed and chill. People with the most rizz tend to be laid-back and don’t take themselves too seriously.
- Learn the art of engaging conversation. This is paramount. You can be hot as hell, but if you’re boring, self-absorbed, or have nothing to say for yourself, you’re going to turn people off quickly. Ask questions when people tell you things about themselves. Offer up stories of your own, but not so many that you’re taking over the conversation. Learn how to bounce off your conversational partner and you’ll be amazed how far it takes you.
- Lead with confidence. Rizz and insecurity simply aren’t compatible. You don’t have to love everything about yourself in order you feel comfortable and confident in your own skin. Know that you have a lot to offer people and that they’d be lucky to have you. If you put that attitude forward, others will notice. Just make sure to draw a line between confidence and cockiness.
- Increase your emotional intelligence. You’re a grown adult who’s probably had a few relationships by now. This means you should have learned to pick up on emotional cues and learned how to read people. The ability to listen well, empathize, and relate should be a priority, as they’ll allow you to connect with others on a deeper level.
- Dress the part. To be clear, rizz isn’t about physical appearances, but that’s not to say you should go around looking like a human garbage can. Dress in clothes that make you feel amazing, no matter the style. If you look in the mirror and like what you see, that feeling will create an aura around you that people will flock to. Just you wait and see.