A woman who thought she was living her best life by visiting an all-you-can-eat sushi buffet got more than she bargained for when the trip left her in the hospital. Danielle Shapiro, 24, chowed down while visiting Sushi 85 in Mountain View, California for the $50 per person meal. However, it seems she went a little too far and it didn’t go well.
All you can eat sushi gone wrong… 🥴
- It’s clear she turned up with a big appetite. While at the restaurant, Danielle had four gyoza dumplings, two jalapeno poppers, a bowl of edamame, a bowl of miso soup, and 32 sushi rolls. Given that she’s a self-described “big sushi enthusiast” and her best friend was in town, it seemed like a great night out.
- To be fair, $50 is a lot of money. That’s why Danielle and her friend ate so much — they wanted to get their money’s worth. “Because all-you-can-eat sushi costs around $50 per person, Amanda and I had to make sure we got our money’s worth, which meant eating a lot,” she explained in a TikTok video. “Our dinner took around two hours since we were so full that we had to stop completely.”
- Danielle’s feast was pretty varied. In addition to the dumplings, poppers, and soup, Danielle enjoyed eight dragon rolls, eight snow rolls, eight California rolls, and eight wakame rolls. My stomach hearts just reading it, so I’m not surprised to know that Danielle and Amanda pretty much “rolled out of the restaurant.”
- She ended up with the worst stomach ache of her life. Danielle revealed that she and Amanda were so full, they had to sit in the car for about half an hour before they could go home. “All the sushi and maybe the rice that inflated my stomach made my stomach feel hard,” she explained. She went to her boyfriend’s house to sleep but woke up with “the worst stomach ache” ever.
- Soon, Danielle had to head to the hospital. When Danielle woke up the following morning, she knew she was in trouble. “I’m not a morning person, so I realized something was wrong when I got up at 6 a.m. the next day,” she recalled. “I was in excruciating pain in my stomach and chest, and it was difficult to take deep breaths.” At the hospital, she was diagnosed with Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD), or acid reflux. She was given some meds to help with her symptoms and sent on her way.
- That being said, Danielle still isn’t swearing off sushi. While she realizes that she needs to take it easy, she’ll still go back for more. “I’m going to eat sushi again! This experience hasn’t ruined sushi for me, nor has it spoiled the all-you-can-eat sushi experience,” she said. “I did learn that I should listen to my body and take things more slowly the next time.”