When it comes to sexual fetishes, they really run the gamut. In fact, no matter how bizarre or strange or gross you may think something is, there’s at least one person who’s sexually aroused by it. If there are people who get off on the consumption of mucus (mucophilia) or the idea of being devoured and swallowed whole by their partner (vorarephilia), then it’s safe to assume that there really is no end to the sexual fetishes that exist in the world. And, as long as no one is getting hurt and everyone involved has consented to it, then who are we to judge?
But of the thousands of sexual fetishes out there, some actually don’t involve vomit (emetophilia), sex with birds (avisodomy), or even getting it on with someone dressed as a squirrel (furries). Some sexual fetishes are actual quite common, but are still considered fetishes because by its very definition, a fetish is “a form of sexual desire in which gratification is linked to an abnormal degree to a particular object, item of clothing, part of the body, etc.” Basically, anything outside of your regular ol’ positions could technically fall into the “fetish” category.
While I’m not suggesting that every one of these fairly common sex fetishes is going to be up your alley, I am suggesting that if you’re looking to spice things up without getting too carried away, then here are nine sex fetishes you might want to try at least once or twice. You might even find that one of these goodies is exactly what your sex life has been missing all these years.
- Spanking. I’m the first to admit that I love being spanked during sex. I’m also willing to bet that at least half, if not more, of the people reading this have indulged in some form of spanking during sex, whether they were the one doing the spanking or being spanked. Spanking is fun because it’s a light introduction to domination role-play, but without getting in too deep.
- Masochism. For those who like to be spanked, but want to take it a bit further, then masochism (the “M” in BDSM) is the direction in which you want to head. Masochists get off on pain during sex. Whether that pain comes in the form of spanking, biting, having their hair pulled, or being completely bound and whipped, for many pain and pleasure go hand-in-hand.
- Sadism. On the other side of masochism, we have sadism. Sadists are the people who like to do all that biting, spanking, and whipping that masochists enjoy so much. Sadism, just as with all BDSM role-play is about consent, communication, and trust. In other words, don’t decide on your own that you’re going to start spanking the hell out of your partner without having a talk about it first. You also want to decide on a safe word to used when things get to be too much.
- Voyeurism. Do you like watching online sex? Then consider yourself being at least a little bit into voyeurism. Voyeurism is deriving sexual pleasure from watching other people have sex. Honestly, watching other people have sex can be really hot, especially if the people you’re watching are really hot, too.
- Exhibitionism. Exhibitionist are those who like to be watched while they’re having sex, which means if that’s your thing, then you’d make a great sex star. For exhibitionists, the sexual excitement comes from both being watched or the thrill of being caught. Those who practice exhibitionism are the types you’ll find having sex in public or, because getting caught with your pants down in public is a boatload of a legal mess no one wants, they higher a third party to just come over and watch them have sex. Similarly to how sadist and masochists are a match made in heaven, so are voyeurs and exhibitionists.
- Menophilia. You may have already engaged in menophilia, but not even known it, you menophiliac you! Someone who’s a menophilia is sexually aroused by menstruation, as in, yes, they want to get it on when you have your period. (Something I think we’ve all tried, either accidentally or on purpose, at one point.) The majority of those who are turned on by menstruating women tend to be men, and although it may not be your scene, if your partner is into it, you might want to try it. Yes, it can be a bit mess, but having sex on your period is great for cramps and can even shorten the length of your period, because with each orgasm more of your uterine lining is flushed out.
- Podophilia. Podophilia is being sexually aroused by feet. While I have a thing against feet, I dated a guy who was really into feet, like had to look at my feet during sex. My personal aversion to feet made it difficult for me to understand his attraction, but after he asked me to give him a footjob (a handjob with my feet), I definitely recommend it to anyone dating someone with podophilia. While it didn’t do anything for me, to see him get so aroused as I stroked his penis with my feet was really interesting.
- Domination and submission. Another really common sexual fetish that I imagine most have dabbled in is domination and submission. Again, this fetish is completely contingent upon communication and consent, and evolves around each partner playing the role of either the dominate or submissive in their sexual activities. Similar to S&M, it usually involves bondage, pushing the limits, and really explores the link between pain and pleasure. Being dominated is a very common sexual desire for women and this was even the case before Fifty Shades of Grey ― shocking that kink existed before that book, but it’s true!
- Group sex. Whether it’s a threesome, foursome, or a consensual gang-bang, group sex definitely qualifies as a fetish, but that’s mostly because a lot of people have a hard enough time focusing on one person. Although, personally, I’ve never done the group sex thing, I have partaken in two threesomes in my life. While these experiences confirmed that I’m just not the threesome type, I do think that if you’ve ever craved trying one, you should absolutely give it a try.