If you grew up in the ’90s, chances are you also grew up with Ace Ventura: Pet Detective and the sequel, Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls. The classic comedy films, starring Jim Carrey, were ridiculous, silly, and totally hilarious, which is why it’s such great news that Ace Venture 3 may be happening.
- Unfortunately, it’s not a done deal. In fact, we may be getting excited a little prematurely, since the idea of another Ace Ventura sequel really only came about due to rumors started by We Got This Covered. The website claimed that not only might another movie be happening but Jim Carrey might even reprise the title role. However, talk is cheap and no contracts have been signed just yet.
- There may be some truth to the rumors, of course. That’s because the article actually got tweeted by Morgan Creek, the production company behind the Ace Ventura movies. That means either they’re happy that people want this and think it’s a great idea or because the article is actually right and there’s actually another installment in the works.
- We probably shouldn’t hold out for Jim Carrey to return. Carrey has had a pretty incredible career since Ace Ventura and definitely isn’t hurting for money, so the chances of him returning to reprise his role are pretty slim. That’s especially the case according to comments Tommy Davidson, who played Tiny Warrior in When Nature Calls, made to US Weekly. “[Carrey] doesn’t want to do it now. But Jim is one of those kind of artists that, you know, he does what he feels, he does what he believes in,” he said. “I asked him about it. I told him: ‘Hey man, it’d be nice in Jamaica.’ He said: ‘No, I’m not doing those now’. And you know, that’s like going on the field and going: ‘Hey, Tom Brady, I think you should throw this over to…’ ‘No!’”
- Next year will be 25 years since we had new Ace Ventura. When Nature Calls was released in 1995 and given that it’s about to be 2020, that’s a hell of a long time since we’ve caught up with Ace Ventura and it would be pretty great to be able to celebrate such a monumental anniversary with Ace Ventura 3. Will it happen? I guess we’ll have to wait and see.
- We don’t want Ace Ventura 3 without Jim Carrey, though. Seriously, that would be a mess. Let’s not even bother.