When you’re in a relationship, you expect to feel loved, respected, and treated with consideration. After all, that’s what you offer to your partners and it’s the whole point of having one, right? Well, if your guy is guilty of any of these things, you’re seriously being taken for granted.
- He just assumes. He doesn’t ask what you think or what you want, he just assumes he knows. He doesn’t lift a finger to help around the house or to make dinner when he’s working from home because he just assumes you’ll deal with it. There’s a lot of assumption happening and 99% of the time he’s totally wrong. A guy who valued you would ask you what you want, how he can help, and what he can do to contribute to your relationship.
- Date night has all but disappeared. When you first got together, you used to go out semi-often on romantic dates. It didn’t have to be anything grand or expensive, just spending time together outside the house doing something you both enjoyed meant the world to you. These days, he’s content sitting on the couch in his boxers ordering a pizza while he ignores you to play video games. Great.
- He’s stopped complimenting you. He used to tell you how amazingly blue your eyes are when you smile or how great your butt looked in your favorite jeans. Now it’s like when he’s looking at you, he’s looking right through you. You can’t remember the last time you received a compliment from him because it’s been that long. Not a good sign.
- You rarely see him out of his dingy jeans and sweatpants. Gone are the days when he’d actually shower and shave prior to seeing you. These days, you’re lucky if he even manages to put on clean boxers before you hang out. Gross. The fact that he doesn’t care about looking good for you probably means that he doesn’t see the need to. In other words, he has you now, so why bother? Ugh.
- He wants to have sex but would rather skip the foreplay. Romantic lovemaking is never on the cards anymore. Instead, when he gets horny, he expects you to put out but he doesn’t want to spend time doing anything but getting off and he doesn’t care if you do or not. Foreplay just isn’t in his vocabulary anymore and he doesn’t see a problem with it.
- He never listens when you speak. You can tell when someone is tuning you out and he seems to do that more often than not. It’s like you’re an inconvenience to him, always interrupting something that’s super important to—gasp!—actually communicate with your partner. He’s not interested in listening; he’d rather you just stop talking.
- He makes decisions based on what’s best for him rather than both of you. Instead of considering whether or not a decision would serve both of you, he makes sure it works for him and then goes ahead with it regardless of how it will affect your life. You’re expected to just roll with the punches and get on board. If not, too bad.
- He refuses to take responsibility for his mistakes and just expects forgiveness. Instead of owning up to his mistakes, apologizing for them, and correcting them, he gets arrogant when called out and acts like he could never be in the wrong. If he is, you’re just supposed to get over it because he’s your boyfriend and he can do what he wants. That doesn’t seem very fair, does it?
- He doesn’t worry about losing you because he thinks it’ll never happen. He acts like he’s joking when you mention feeling fed up and he insists that you love him too much to ever leave him. For some reason, he seems to think he’s the best thing since sliced bread and you could never do better, so maybe it’s time to prove him wrong…