Back in the early aughts, David and Victoria Beckham were the celebrity It Couple everyone loved. Then the famous footballer’s former personal assistant, Rebecca Loos, came out claiming that she’d been having a months-long affair with him, and drama erupted. David has always denied the accusations that he was unfaithful to his wife, though Loos has created an entire career for herself out of the attention she received in the wake of her claims. However, eventually, everyone forgot about the whole thing, and it wasn’t until the last week or so, after David and Victoria Beckham discussed the affair rumors in their new Netflix docuseries, that it came back into everyone’s minds. Now, Rebecca Loos is speaking out about the nasty comments she’s getting as a result of “Beckham.”
- Rebecca Loos was definitely on one. Back in 2003, David Beckham was playing for Real Madrid and Loos was his personal assistant. Of course, she soon realized she could sell her story to the now-defunct News of the World and get paid a pretty penny to come up with as many salacious details about an alleged affair as she could.
- They apparently had a deep connection and there were “still feelings there” even after it ended. “The chemistry between David and I was so strong that everyone was aware and people weren’t happy, obviously, because I was being very unprofessional and he’s a married man,” Loos said in a Sky News interview after the story broke. “He just kept looking at me and then it dawned on me what he’d asked me – and I did want to go back with him.”
- Many people didn’t believe her, but she still made a career for herself out of the story. She was on the cover of magazines and appeared on major reality TV shows around the world as a result of the story, from “Celebrity Love Island” to the Spanish version of “Survivor” and more. However, her star eventually waned and she faded away into the ether.
- David and Victoria Beckham discuss the alleged affair in the fourth episode of “Beckham.” While they never mention Rebecca Loos by name, David did admit that at the time the allegations broke, “There was some horrible stories that were difficult to deal with. It was the first time that me and Victoria had been put under that kind of pressure in our marriage.”
- Victoria struggled to deal with the media scrutiny. Not only was she faced with the idea that her husband might have cheated, but she was facing a barrage of new headlines and media intrusion on a daily basis. “It was the hardest period for us,” she said. “Because it felt like the world was against us. And here’s the thing, we were against each other if I’m being completely honest. You know, up until Madrid, sometimes it felt like us against everybody else. But we were together, we were connected, we had each other,” she recalled of that difficult time. “But when we were in Spain, it didn’t really feel like we had each other either. And that’s sad.” She added that it was “the most unhappy I have ever been in my entire life.”
- Of course, the Beckhams did manage to get through it. It’s been nearly 20 years since the drama occurred, and their relationship is stronger than ever. How did they do it? Even they don’t know. “I don’t know how we got through it in all honesty,” David admitted. “Victoria’s everything to me. To see her hurt was incredibly difficult. But, we’re fighters. And at that time, we needed to fight for each other, we needed to fight for our family. And what we had was worth fighting for.”
- Now, Rebecca Loos is getting all sorts of negative comments again. Seeing the Beckhams discuss that period of their lives in the Netflix documentary has brought it back for many people, and Rebecca Loos has been experiencing harassment on social media ever since. One commenter noticed the “disgusting” things people were saying to her, to which Loos responded, “Thank you, am taking in the nasty comments with as much humor as I can.”