No one wants to be seen as boring. Of all the adjectives someone could use to describe you, this has to be one of the worst. It means you’re forgettable, and more than that, you’re kind of a drag to be around. However, it doesn’t have to be like that! Here’s how to not be boring and instead make people excited to get to be around you. It’s easier than you think.
- Have a life. You might be thinking, “What are you talking about? I totally have a life!” but if that life consists of going to work and then coming home and ordering takeout and watching Netflix until you go to bed every night, you’re not going to have much to talk about and it’s inevitable that you’ll be seen as boring. You don’t need to be a party animal or an extreme extrovert, either. Simply having hobbies and passions will give you plenty to talk about and share with friends and potential dates.
- Put your curiosity on display. There’s nothing more boring than having a one-sided conversation with someone. When people share things with you, show a bit of curiosity and ask follow-up questions about anything that piques your interest. This shows that you’re engaged and interested, which makes people way more likely to want to chat with you.
- Don’t take yourself too seriously. Life is ridiculous and we’re all hurtling towards death together, so we really should be having fun along the way. Be willing to laugh at yourself when you make a mistake or do something crazy, and don’t be so up your own butt that you think you’re too good to admit you’re a hot mess. There’s nothing more endearing than someone who knows not to take themselves too seriously and that it’s okay to embrace the funny side of things.
- Be up for trying new things. What’s the opposite of boring? Unexpected! Even if you’re more introverted or shy, that shouldn’t preclude you for being up for an adventure every now and then. While you should never do anything that makes you uncomfortable or crosses your boundaries, sometimes it’s good to push yourself out of your comfort zone and try something new. Be willing to put yourself out there – you might be pleased at the results.
- Don’t be shy about sharing your thoughts, feelings, and opinions. You can never be boring if you’re open about your thoughts, feelings, and beliefs with others. Of course, there’s a difference between expressing yourself and pushing your beliefs on others, so be sure not to cross that line. However, feel confident enough to open up about the things you know and care about with those around you. They’ll be desperate for your next conversation.