Adding a new pet to your family is generally a cause for celebration, and Britney Spears was certainly excited to introduce the world to her new puppy, Snow, in the days following her split from husband Sam Asghari. But while many of the “Toxic” singer’s fans were thrilled with the furry pal, PETA has hit out at Spears for what they believe was a reckless and harmful decision.
- Snow is the cutest little ball of fluff. In an Instagram video posted on Thursday, August 24, Snow can be seen following Spears’ feet around and generally being adorable. “Introducing Snow,” Spears wrote. “It’s her world and we just live in it.”
- PETA believes Spears got the dog for the wrong reasons. The animal welfare organization hit out at Spears, claiming that dogs are not a way to fix your mental health. They believe her decision to get Snow will negatively impact how the public treats animals, which seems a bit unfair, to be honest…
- They assume that Spears bought the dog and that “countless” dogs will now die because of her. “When influential people buy puppies, puppy mills cheer and animal shelters watch the homeless-animal crisis get even worse,” a PETA rep told TMZ. “With this one cutesy post, Britney Spears has sentenced countless deserving dogs in shelters to more days without love, a comfy bed to curl up on, or a chance at a real life.” They added: “She could have been a force for good and adopted, but instead she chose to be toxic, and animals will pay with their lives.”
- PETA might have a bit more to be worried about as well. Puppies might be the last of their concerns, as Spears also recently claimed on Instagram that she would be “buying a horse soon” but that she hadn’t been able to decide on which. “ So many options it’s kinda hard !!! A horse called Sophie and another called Roar 🐎 ??? I can’t make up my mind 🙈 !!! Should I join the camaraderie and put a pink cowboy hat on 😜 ??? Either way I think I found my sweet spot with Roar 😘 !!!” she wrote on Instagram.
- To be fair to Britney Spears, PETA is using her to get their name in the news again. As much as the organization exists to protect animals, it also loves getting its own headlines, and this is a pretty easy way to do so. They know nothing about Britney Spears’ pets or her reason for getting one. Also, to blame her for no one adopting dogs in shelters is absolutely ridiculous. Sometimes PETA really makes it very hard to take it seriously.