Your relationship is over and you’ve moved on. Maybe you’re dating someone else or maybe you’ve decided to live your best single fabulous life without worrying about guys or dating. However, can your ex say the same?. Here are some signs that he still loves you and wishes he could have you back.
- He still texts you — and not just at night. He still remembers your birthday and makes a point to reach out just to check up. Even if he views this as a friendship, it shows he still cares a lot about you. It’s possible he’s using specific excuses, like texting you to congratulate you on a promotion, as a way to see whether or not you’ll bring up the topic of getting back together. If he texts “how are you?” he might secretly be hoping for you to tell him you miss him.
- He’s still friends with your parents on social media. If you were dating for a bit, it’s possible he friended your parents on Facebook. If he continues to hold on that connection, that means you meant a lot to him. Also, his online interactions will be quite telling. If he “likes” your mom’s status about winning a trophy with her swim team, or makes suggestions to your dad about which new lawnmower to buy, he likely still has feelings for you. He’s hoping these brief yet friendly interactions might make their way back to you.
- He’s been single for a long time. After your breakup, he might have immediately tried online dating but gave up after a date or two. Guys often want someone new to take their mind off of an ex and try to rebound. But if he’s still genuinely into you, he’s probably realized how hard you are to replace. If you haven’t heard about another big relationship, it’s possible that he’s still clinging onto the idea that the two of you will get back together.
- He’s made a point to change. If you’ve noticed that he’s trying out something new immediately after your breakup, obviously he’s trying to grow as a person. If you weren’t holding him back from trying out a new skill (which hopefully you weren’t), he may be trying to impress you. He wants you to know that he’s still working on himself. He has room for change and growth.
- Mutual friends can’t seem to stop mentioning his name. It’s normal if the two of you share friends. In fact, it’s healthy. Having to split up a group can be difficult, so consider yourself both successful if your breakup didn’t ruin the overall friendship dynamic. However, when you talk to them, they always mention how your ex is doing. They might be doing this to figure out your reaction. If they say something like, “He’s still in a rough patch right now,” they’re trying to guilt you into calling him. Likewise, if you start dating someone new, your friends may be a little weirded out at first since they want to protect your ex. In their eyes, the two of you will eventually get back together.
- He still has stuff at your house. It’s nothing big, but it’s still his. You might have gotten some texts saying he plans to get it, but doesn’t have the time just yet. That’s a stall tactic. He knows it’s the one surefire topic to communicate about and wants to hold onto it for as long as he can. If the stalling goes on too long, don’t be afraid to bring up an ultimatum. Especially if you’re completely done with the relationship and never plan on getting back with him. Don’t throw his stuff in the trash, but leave it out on a porch to pick up when you’re not home.
- He still wants to help you out. If he always meant to tackle a few projects around the house, it’s a little strange if he insists on finishing them up after a breakup. The truth is, he’s doing this stuff to stay close to you. He also wants to be helpful, and make sure you have everything you need — especially if you used to live together, but now you’re living alone. It’s sweet to have someone who’s looking out for you. But if you’re really done with this guy, try to let him down gently and refuse the work he’s trying to do. If he has no chance of getting back in your life, you need to give him permission to move on.
- He still buys you things if they remind him of you. It doesn’t have to be big gestures, but small things do give the message of “you’re on my mind.” If he went shopping, found something he knew you’d love, and mailed it to you as a present, you’re still on his mind.