It was only in early September that the end of Joe Jonas and Sophie Turner’s marriage was revealed, and while everyone had high hopes that they’d be able to keep things civil for the sake of their kids, that doesn’t seem to be happening. In fact, things are already getting pretty contentious, with Page Six reporting that Turner is suing Jonas to return their two daughters back to the UK. The “Game of Thrones” actress is said to have filed legal documents in Manhattan on Thursday, September 21.
- Jonas is holding the kids hostage, Turner claims. According to Turner, 3-year-old Willa and their second daughter, who was born in 2022 and whose name has not been made public, are being held illegally by Jonas. According to court documents, Turner is seeking “the immediate return of children wrongfully removed or wrongfully retained” since September 20.
- Joe Jonas and Sophie Turner agreed to live in the UK full-time. According to Turner, the couple had a discussion over the Christmas holiday in 2022 and decided at that point that the UK would be their “forever home” and that they’d start looking at schools for Willa in England. “The parties were both excited for the family’s move to England,” the filing states.
- They actually made moves to put that plan into place. The couple not only put their Miami home up for sale but they found a sprawling place in the English countryside and began to rent it long-term, with plans to buy the property in the near future. They officially moved into the house on April 10, 2023.
- Turner began filming a miniseries called “Joan” in the UK this summer. Jonas was heading off on tour with the Jonas Brothers in August, so Turner allowed him to take the girls with him “with hesitation” since he’d theoretically have more time to spend with him throughout the day. This was, however, supposed to be a “temporary arrangement.”
- The couple’s marriage took a downturn that effectively ended their relationship “very suddenly,” the documents state. The argument happened on August 15, and by September 5, Jonas was in court in Miami filing for divorce. Turner claims she found out about the filing “through the media” rather than being told by her husband.
- Turner and Jonas met up earlier this month to talk about the details of their split. It was during this convo that Turner claims she “reiterated” her plans to have the kids living in England. However, she claims Jonas is hanging onto the girls’ passports so that they can’t leave the U.S. “The Father has possession of the children’s passports,” the documents state. “He refuses to return the passports to the Mother and refuses to send the children home to England with the Mother.”
- Jonas isn’t prepared to let the girls move to England. A lawyer for Jonas said on September 19 that he has no plans to return the passports or let his daughters move to England as planned. However, Turner is prepared to file a lawsuit in both countries. In the UK, it would be considered a breach of custody case.
What a mess!