There’s nothing worse than laying in bed in the middle of the night, ridiculously tired but totally unable to get to sleep. Your mind simply won’t shut off, and no matter how much you will it, sleep just doesn’t come. You’ve tried everything from counting sheep to listening to sleep meditations and no dice. However, TikTokers swear by “cricket feet,” the self-soothing practice that millions of people claim will have you drifting off to dreamland in no time.
- Hang on a sec — what are “cricket feet”? It’s pretty much exactly what it sounds like: You rub your feet and toes together just like an actual cricket does. This can be done barefoot or with socks, though you may find that socks glide a bit better.
- You can do cricket feet anytime, anywhere. While it’s particularly soothing to do while in bed when you’re trying to get to sleep, you don’t have to wait until bedtime to try it. You can do it when watching TV on the couch, working on a report at your desk, or hanging out by the pool on a sun lounger.
- Does this actually accomplish anything? Actually, yes. The feet have tons of nerve endings as well as a lot of acupressure points, as well. When you stimulate them, you naturally feel calmer and more relaxed. Think of it like a mini massage for your tootsies — you’re bound to feel pampered and totally chill. “Foot rubbing, also known as foot massage, is a form of relaxation and stress relief. It can help alleviate tension, improve blood circulation, and provide a sense of comfort and well-being,” Dr. Eileen Li, PT, DPT, L.AC, told Bustle.
- People on TikTok absolutely swear by doing cricket feet. The proof is in the pudding — “cricket feet” has more than 71.1 billion views and thousands of videos from people who insist it’s the best thing ever. People of all ages, genders, races, and backgrounds see the benefits of the practice, and frankly, I can’t blame them. It is pretty great!
- It’s not exactly a new trend. As many people remarked, they’ve been doing cricket feet for many years but never knew it was a thing or that anyone else did it either. “I’m in shock seeing all these people doing this. I didn’t know it had a name. Been doing it my whole life,” one person said. “It’s the only way I can fall asleep,” another admitted.
I just learned about this and never realized I did it before 😂😂
Replying to @theyluhh._.isisss #cricketfeet