You’re flirting with someone really attractive, and the only thing going through your mind is, “I wish they would shut up and kiss me.” If you’re particularly bold, you might feel empowered enough to say this. Confidence is sexy, and your willingness to go after what you want might get you results. For the rest of us, a gentler approach probably seems better. That’s where TikTok’s viral triangle method comes in. Here’s what you need to know about the new way to flirt and how to try it yourself.
What is the triangle method?
If u have never done this before search it and do it it works every time
The triangle method is all about eye contact and how using it well could see you locking lips with someone hot ASAP. Originally referred to by Sophie-Rose Lloyd on TikTok as the “psychology love eye trick,” the triangle method has now gone seriously viral by people who swear it really works. So, what is it?
In essence, the triangle method uses body language to convey the very simple message that you want to kiss someone. While looking at the person you’re into, you then glance down to their mouth, then back up to their other eye. This creates an upside-down triangle (hence the name) and lets them know you’re keen for a makeout. Pretty simple, right?
The general idea is that by using this method to convey your interest, you can avoid potential embarrassment and rejection. It’s also a lot more subtle than outright asking for a kiss (and less cringey). TikToker @vfxgino claims that Jenna Ortega used the triangle method in one of her projects. If it’s good enough for Hollywood stars, we should all be trying it, right?
Why is it so popular?
With more than 25 million views on the #trianglemethod hashtag on TikTok, it’s clear people are seriously fascinated by it. It’s full of people who’ve tried it and swear it works, as well as those who are intrigued but still too intimidated to give it a go. But, given that using eye contact to flirt is a tried and true way to express interest, why is this particular approach so big?
- It’s low stakes. When all you’re doing is looking quickly from someone’s eyes to their lips, you’re not really putting yourself out there. Because it’s so understated, you can always play it down or pretend it never happened if your interaction goes downhill. You really have nothing to lose by trying it.
- It’s subtle. The triangle method is about the opposite of desperation. There’s literally zero chance you’ll come off as some kind of weirdo or scare the other person off. It’s low-key and totally chill, just like you. That’s a good way to start things off.
- It doesn’t require much effort. If you’re a lazy dater — hey, no shame! — this is perfect for you. You don’t have to make any grand gestures or put in any actual effort. You just look at their eyes, then their lips, then back at their eyes, et voila.
- It’s sexy and creates a sense of mystery. A subtle, laid-back approach to flirting like the triangle method puts the ball in someone else’s court. That’s hot. If the other person is picking up what you’re putting down, they’re bound to find you incredibly sexy.
- There’s less chance of rejection. If they’re not feeling it, they likely will just ignore your cues. That’s way less humiliating than someone telling you to your face that they’re not interested in you romantically. Rejection is no big deal and not the end of the world. However, if you can save face, why not?
So, does the triangle method actually work?
There’s no doubt that the idea behind the triangle method is pretty solid. After all, sharing sustained eye contact with someone, while awkward, can also release oxytocin and phenylethylamine, the feel-good hormones. As a result, you’ll feel more attracted to and connected with each other. That sets the stage for a pretty hot makeout session.
Of course, you can also combine this approach with other well-known flirting techniques. For instance, licking or biting your lips will ensure your date can’t keep their eyes off your mouth. It’s also seen as a huge indicator of romantic attraction. So, let’s hope they pick up what you’re putting down.
That being said, there are no guarantees that the triangle method is going to land you a kiss. There are always other factors at play. But hey, it’s worth a try.