Dating is basically one big game — a series of moves each person makes to achieve a desired end state, whether that’s getting laid at the end of the night or finding a soulmate. Just because game playing is a dating standard doesn’t mean it’s not seriously screwing you over when it comes to landing long-term love. These 8 games especially don’t work, so stop playing them.
- I’m not that into you, (but I really am). I don’t know why anyone thinks this game works but it’s super lame and will probably drive him away (or insane). Obviously you don’t want to seem too eager or too desperate, but if you dig him, say so. If you don’t, then just let him go.
- I’m totally fine with just being your hookup buddy… not. You think he’s amazing but he “doesn’t want anything serious right now,” so you pretend you’re totally cool with just being a piece of ass so that you can still see him. Most of the time, this backfires. Have more self-respect and don’t be a play thing if you want more. The only person who loses in this game is you.
- I don’t care that you’re still friends with your ex (until I’m drunk and I lose my mind about it). Jealousy isn’t pretty, but pretending something doesn’t bother you can be even worse when you finally explode about it. Don’t pretend it doesn’t get to you just because you want him to think it doesn’t or because you’re expecting him to figure it out on his own. He won’t.
- I’m totally only seeing you (and Joe, Dave and Tyler too). Guys can be dumb, but he’ll probably be able to figure it out. If you’re afraid that he’ll break your heart and you won’t have any options, then don’t date him. Don’t date around unless he’s cool with it and you’re prepared for him to do the same.
- I’m not the jealous type at all. Most people are at least a little bit jealous — it’s REALLY hard not to be. If you know you get jealous, don’t pretend you don’t, because he’ll probably do stuff that will make you even more jealous. Just own up to your green-eyed monster and work with it.
- If you loved me… THIS IS THE WORST. Don’t ever, ever pull this crap. If you really loved me, you would do this or wouldn’t do that. It’s a terrible idea, always backfires eventually, and will probably make him resent you and ever falling for you in the first place. Got it?
- I’m fine (door slam). It’s totally fine to not be fine, but don’t say you are and then react in a way that suggests otherwise. This is exactly why men say women are so difficult to read and they can never figure us out.
- I totally wasn’t trying to make you jealous. (OK, yes I was — did it work?). So, you don’t like that some of his work friends are female… the obvious response is to flirt with other men in front of him and then deny it, right? WRONG. This kind of behavior develops trust issues and when your relationship fails (which it will if you do this stuff), you will have just messed him up for the next sorry chick he gets with. Don’t be that girl, please.