In the age of social media, one of the biggest slaps in the face you can experience is getting blocked on social media. Sometimes you know what you did to deserve it, but many times people get left in the dark about why their profile has been blacked out. This is especially frustrating when it happens with someone you were dating or interested in. It can be hard to know what to do when a guy blocks you, but here are some suggestions.
- Block Him Right Back. Give him a taste of his own medicine and block him on all forms of social media. Not only will this send him a clear message that you know what he’s done, but it will also show him you don’t mind if things end here and there. Plus, it will prevent you from being able to easily call or message him late at night when you’re wishing things were different. Don’t worry, in the morning you’ll feel differently.
- Use A Friend’s Account To Stalk Him. With a friend’s permission, use their account to keep tabs on what a guy has been up to after blocking you (or at least to investigate what might have happened to make him do it). If you’re ballsy, you can even use the friend’s profile to send the guy a message asking why he blocked you in the first place. Of course, this may lead to more drama and potentially more pain, but it can be hard to resist checking in on someone when they seemingly blocked you out of nowhere.
- Can’t Resist? Set Up A Fake Profile. If you really want to see what a guy has been up to after he’s blocked you and a friend isn’t available to help, then put on your detective hat and create a fake profile. A fresh account will allow you to search up his profile since he won’t have the profile blocked. Obviously, this may score you a place on MTV’s Catfish and I don’t recommend taking this very far. Still, more women do this than they admit, especially when they’ve been ghosted or blocked.
- Go See Him In Person. This will be a little tricky if you don’t know the whereabouts of the guy in question, but if you have the opportunity and you don’t think it would lead to a dramatic blow-up, consider surprising the guy in person to get answers. Try knocking on his front door or catching him during a break from work. He will likely be taken aback if you do this, and he may not give you the answers you want or any at all. Needless to say, proceed with caution.
- Try Talking To His Friends. If you’re on a hunt for answers and you can’t get them from the guy, then try hitting up one of his friends. It’s helpful if you have mutual friends in common, or at least have one of his besties on social media. Send them a message or ask in person if they know why he blocked you. Remember, just because you ask doesn’t mean you’ll get an answer, or at least one you like. Doing this can also add fuel to the fire, so be aware of the risks before you act.
- Give Him Some Space. Trying to confront him in person may quench your desire to act, but it can also rub him the wrong way. Sometimes the best thing to do is give someone space. Try giving the situation a few weeks – focus on the things that are going well in your life during that period. Then after a while, try reaching you to him in person or online to ask why he blocked you. It may make him more likely to give you an honest answer, even if it’s not a positive one.
- Create A Bit Of Mystery. Create a mysterious online persona by being aloof in posts. That doesn’t mean you need to stop posting altogether. Rather, be choosy about what you post and don’t reveal all of the details right away. Hint that you’re hanging out with someone but don’t reveal their identity. Post a seductive selfie with a one-word caption. Once again, this will send the message that you’re too busy living your life to bother with someone who gave you the block. This is super petty and kind of immature, but sometimes you need that to feel better, at least temporarily.
- Find Someone Else To Focus On. Just like they say a rebound is great after a relationship, the same goes if someone blocks you, even if you weren’t in a full relationship with them. Now, we’re not saying to just settle for any new guy that gives you attention. But remember that it can be fun playing the field and getting to know new people. Download a couple of dating apps or head out for drinks with your friends. Talking to someone new doesn’t have to become anything serious but it will be a nice distraction and a way to remember there are other, better fish in the sea.
- Never Talk To Him Again. Yes, this is an option. You can simply choose to let it go and move on with your life. People have all sorts of strange reasons for blocking another person’s profile. Trying to make sense of why someone blocked you online may only lead to more pain and confusion. So, sometimes it’s best to be the bigger person and just accept that this chapter is over. Go find someone who deserves you and would never think twice about blocking you.