As a 21st-century guy who’s totally down with feminism, I’m often surprised and disappointed when women hold onto antiquated notions about gender roles. For instance, there are some women who won’t take the leap and make the first move with a guy they like. It really doesn’t make sense if you think about it. As a guy, I’m here to tell women everywhere that you should absolutely go for it. Here’s why.
- We aren’t always brave enough. Look, some guys are really shy, and you ladies can be super intimidating sometimes. The types of guys who don’t go to bars to hit on women three nights a week aren’t always able to work up the nerve to approach a woman they like. It takes a lot of bravery to strike up a conversation or lean in for a kiss when you like someone, and building up that courage can take time. If you think there’s a mutual attraction and don’t feel like waiting, you ladies should be encouraged to make the first move.
- We’re not natural risk-takers. A lot of guys aren’t going to take the plunge and make a move on a girl unless we have 100% certainty our feelings will be reciprocated. Fear of failure or rejection can be powerful and often times gets in the way. Meanwhile, if you ladies make the first move, I’d say there’s a good chance a guy will be receptive to a woman who tries to get things started.
- It allows us to relax. The moments before you make a move on someone you like are unbelievably nerve-wracking. The uncertainty of what will happen can sometimes be overwhelming because we don’t know if you’ll reciprocate our interest or not. You could give us a one-way ticket to the friend zone or just laugh in our face. But if you ladies make the first move with a guy, I promise will come off a lot more relaxed and confident, which will make it easier to get things started on the right foot.
- It’s nice to be wanted. For generations, you ladies have been the mice in the game of cat and mouse we play. I know there are some downsides to that, but you gotta admit that it’s nice to be wanted at times. Well, why can’t we have that feeling too? Sometimes we need the validation that comes with being a desirable romantic partner. Having a woman hitting on us is a nice change of pace and a good way to get the kind of validation that we all crave.
- We’re down with gender equality too. I can’t speak for all men here, but I think you’d be surprised to find out how many millennial men are down with feminism and gender equality. Well, if you want gender equality, you have to say goodbye to the notion that women can’t be the ones to initiate a courtship. Remember, this is the 21st century and it’s a little archaic to think it’s always up to the man to make the first move, that’s all I’m saying.
- We want strong, independent women. If you’re willing to make the first move with a guy, odds are you’re a strong and independent woman. Well, guess what, a lot of guys dig women who are brave, confident, and willing to go after what they want. For me personally, it’s endearing to see a woman that’s more than willing to make the first move.
- We find it flattering. Moving back to us for a second, most guys will be flattered by a woman hitting on them for a change. I’m sure you ladies are flattered by the positive attention most of the time, so why would you think guys would be any different? After all, we put in a lot of effort when it comes to looking our best and being appealing to others. So when a woman walks up to us to strike up a conversation, it’s flattering and it feels nice. It’s not fair that we get deprived of that feeling.
- It’s so sexy. More than anything, it can be an instant turn-on to have a woman make the first move. It might take us by surprise at first, but there’s nothing wrong with that. But we know how difficult it is to take that step, and a lot of guys find it super hot when you do. I don’t want to make any promises, but unless the guy is a total jerk, he’ll probably be receptive to you making the first move just cause of how sexy it can be to have a woman do that.