Valentine’s Day may be considered the most romantic day of the year, it’s still good to tell your significant other that you love them and care for them throughout the rest of the year. It’s a great boost for their self-esteem, and if you mean it, why not share it? Of course, some people aren’t that great with words. For guys, it’s important to know that small gestures and acts of kindness can also tell a woman that the relationship is strong and worth holding onto. Here are some random acts of romance for you to try that are much better than candies and flowers.
- Clean up the kitchen after a meal without being asked. Unless this is already a chore that’s been assigned to you, it’s a great way of saying “thank you” and “I love you.” It’s also a way to prove that you care about the living space you two share. Even if you don’t live together, it’s a good gesture to prove to her that you respect her space. Taking a rag to a countertop doesn’t sound like a big deal, but can really prove so much.
- Pick up a fun snack at the grocery store just for her. You went in for avocados, but it’s okay if you leave with avocados and her favorite bag of gummy candy. Adults like to be surprised just as much as kids and they like to know that you’re thinking of them in pretty mundane places. “I was at the store and thought you might like these” is just a good sentence that every boyfriend should say at least once.
- Give her a quick shoulder rub just because. Just a small one at the end of her workday. Don’t have it lead to anything else and don’t expect anything in return. The kind touch will help her feel more connected to you. And, if physical touch happens to be her love language, even better.
- Send her a fun surprise package from Amazon. This is even more fun if you’re currently long distance. Buy her something goofy or funny outside of Valentine’s Day, the winter holidays, or her birthday. You don’t need a special occasion to pick up a gift. If you think it’ll bring a smile to her face, or make her laugh, send it on over.
- Be nice to her parents. Being respectful to someone’s parents is just a matter of respect and a show of manners. That said, sometimes relatives can be really difficult. By showing kindness, starting worthwhile conversations with, and not dismissing her parents, you’re proving to her that you care about the people she cares about. That’s a very attractive quality. Nobody wants to choose between their boyfriend and their mom.
- Let her take time off. Sometimes, women have a problem taking a break. A romantic thing you can do, as a boyfriend, is to encourage her to sleep in or take a mini weekend vacation. She doesn’t need your permission, but she may need your influence. You care about her, so you want to make sure she has time to decompress and be her best self. Don’t make her feel bad about a lazy day, or a day when being in bed just sounds like the best plan. Some days can be low key.
- Make her lunch. It doesn’t have to be impressive, but it’s really kind to have someone else cook for you. Even if it’s assembling a sandwich, it’ll taste better since it’s made with love. This is just a great gesture and a way for you to extend your bond even further.
- Plan a weekend together focusing on things she’d really enjoy. It’s been tough planning travel these days, but there’s always the future to look forward to. Try making arrangements to do something you’ve known she’s always wanted to do. Whether it’s visiting a particular store or a particular continent, put the gears in motion towards making it happen. Let her know when you have a firm idea in mind and don’t book any tickets until you know she’s definitely on board. Being motivated to create a memorable experience together is very attractive.
- Watch a show she wants you to get into. These days, people have multiple televisions. They also have phones and iPads. There’s no shortage of ways to watch television or video clips. Next time she asks you to sit with her and check out something you wouldn’t normally watch, try not to dismiss it. Watching a show together is a lot of fun, and you may enjoy it more than you think.